Saturday 7 January 2017

What defines me?

Scratched knees, chapped lips, adrenaline in my veins
My own people left me out drenching in the rain
I was playing with fire, knowing I’d get burnt
But I foolishly jumped in with both feet, oh, the lessons I learnt!

Yet, when I look back on my journey, the battles I’ve fought,
tried to be hopeful in the rain, was left heartbroken in the drought
I see the demons I’ve overcome; my broken bones might just heal
I’m taking back the things their beautiful yet blazing fire did steal

I see that it is indeed the wars we fight that define us; irrespective of losses
And the hearts that continue to remain kind, they know how risky each toss is

The strongest souls trust after being deceived,
Love even when their affection isn’t received

And that is what defines us, not the whispers behind our backs
Not the shoes ruined by tumbling in the tracks
But the number of times we get back up, being reborn from the fires that turn us to ashes,
And the times we establish ourselves from rock bottom and the crashes

No comments:

Post a Comment